Thursday 11 June 2015

Why Do Large 4 Year Olds Still Love Laps?

My youngest daughter, Rose, is a girl who loves physical contact.  Sometimes it's the kind parents like to discourage (hitting, pulling, etc) but usually she just wants someone to sit next to her on the couch so you can cuddle.  It's very cute.

Rose is now 4.  She's big.  I'm not super big.  She really does not fit on my lap any more.  But she still thinks she's a lap baby.  On the couch this is acceptable as I can usually adjust to be comfortable, but at the dining room table, while I'm drinking hot coffee and trying to read my emails (or god forbid type something!) it is much less comfortable.

I really don't want to discourage her love of human contact, but how can I keep her off my lap for just those 15 minutes I need in the morning to eat and catch up with the world?  If she does manage to climb up there she then wants to "make letters!" or "push the arrow!" which is fine if I'm just browsing around, but after about 2 minutes my legs hurt and I have to get up.  Then she gets the computer and I'm left standing, drinking my coffee.  Not quite fair.

I know distraction is best, but the tv is already on, her Dad's lap is somehow inferior to mine, and I'm just a human contact magnet I guess.  Do your (large) kids still insist on lap time?  Do you let them and suffer the consequences? or have you find a solution?  Please do share any ideas or insights you've discovered!

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment