Tuesday 9 June 2015

Power Outage Causes Bedtime Struggles, But All Is Resolved

Tonight Emma had her Mode Elle modelling/talent class.  Took Rose to a few stores, and changed her into jammies (in case she fell asleep in the car on the way home - she woke up at 5am today) while we waited big sis to finish.  I got a message from my neighbour asking if my power was out while we were "shopping."  Of course I wasn't home so, no idea!  Then hubby calls 10 minutes later to tell me he stopped at home between his day job and evening work and guess what! - The power's out.  Guess neighbour was right.

Kids were kind of intrigued by the idea of no power, until I explained to them what that meant.  No tv or movies when we get home (we wouldn't have done that anyway, as it's Rose's bedtime by the time we get home); no nightlights (catastrophe!); and - horror of horrors - no toasted english muffins or anything else that requires cooking.

The power was not on when we got home - nor was hubby still home to assist the power-less bedtimes.  The battery backups in the basement were beeping like crazy, and Emma wondered why the dryer was buzzing so often and, wait a minute, it doesn't take batteries, does it?  Sometimes the way her mind works astonishes me still.

Anyway, Rose got to bed okay - it was dark, she was worried about it, so we had to find flashlights because the light from the hallway was just not good enough tonight.  I actually managed to find a few, some with rechargable batteries - and luckily there were a few with enough charge to last a few minutes at least.  Once she accepted the scenario she was asleep quickly.

I was starting to get worried - Emma was wearing the battery down on my phone playing games and I was not really looking forward to straining to read by candle or flashlight as the sun went down.  My big plans for the night were blogging and having a Palm Bay while watching tv - with a chaser of going to bed by 9:30.  I know, exciting night, right?

Well, wonder of wonders, the power came back on about 15 minutes before Emma's bedtime.  So she finished wearing down my phone and then she went to bed - not much fuss, just a story and then some reading-on-her-own time.  So now I am living the dream, drinking my Palm Bay and watching some tv while blogging.  Life is good.  And it's not even 9pm!

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment